Christmas season is usually the time of the year when lots of heavy meals laden with too much unhealthy fats, sugars and carbs are served. I don’t mind indulging in an extra piece of chocolate or an extra helping of a savory dish, so long as it’s healthy and preferably light. Here’s one meal option I eat for lunch or snack, but which can also be a starter for the meal: red pepper and walnut spread (inspired by Kimberly Snyder) and broccoli kale pesto served on raw, gluten-free crackers. It sounds complicated but it literally takes a couple of minutes to make. here’s how:
The pepper nut spread
- in the blender, blend lime juice of 1/2 lime, salt, garlic, pepper, & nutritional yeast
- add 2 red peppers and blend
- add a cup or so of soaked walnuts and blend until smooth
The Broccoli Kale Pesto
- In a blender, blend 1/2 lime juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, and cayenne pepper
- add 1 small bunch of broccoli (no stems) and blend
- add 1 kale and blend
To assemble: Put a small amount of the pepper nut spread on the cracker of your choice, top it off with the refreshing pesto, and enjoy!
Happy and healthy holidays!
Latest posts by Karo (see all)
- How Robert Graves & his muses pulled me through a crisis - July 1, 2014
- Why I finally stopped being stubborn & embraced the ebooks - March 1, 2014
- A love affair & fallout with culture: a lesson from my students - February 6, 2014